What is Valcivir (Valtrex)?
Valcivir-1000 is an antiviral agent formulated to treat infections of the skin and mucous membranes that are caused by herpes simplex virus types 1 (HSV-1) and 2 (HSV-2), and the varicella zoster virus (VZV). This drug contains 1000mg of valacyclovir, an effective nucleoside analogue DNA polymerase inhibitor that prevents the viral load of HSV from increasing.
Take Valcivir-1000 to treat a number of herpes virus infections, such as:
- Shingles (herpes zoster) in immunocompetent patients;
- Initial and recurrent episodes of genital herpes in immunocompetent patients;
- Suppression of recurrent episodes of genital herpes in immunocompetent and HIV-1 infected patients;
- Reduction of transmission of genital herpes in immunocompetent patients;
The dosage of this medication will vary according to your age group and the condition to be treated.
- Initial episode of genital herpes: Take 1 tablet twice daily for 10 days. The regimen should be started within 48 hours after the emergence of your symptoms.
- Recurrent episode of genital herpes: Take 500mg of valacyclovir twice daily for 3 days, from when the first sign of an infection appears.
- Suppressive therapy of genital herpes: If you have normal immune function, take 1 tablet once daily. If your annual number of recurrent infections is 9 or less, the appropriate dose is 500mg of valacyclovir once daily. Alternatively, if you are immunocompromised, take 500mg of valacyclovir twice daily.
- Reduction of genital herpes transmission: If you have a history of 9 or less recurrent infections a year, take 500mg of valacyclovir once daily.
- Shingles: Take 1 tablet 3 times daily for a week. Therapy must be initiated within 48 hours of the onset of infection.
This drug can be taken with or without food. If a dose has been missed and it is already time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose.</
Do not use Valcivir if you are allergic to valacyclovir or any of the excipients in the drug. It is also contraindicated in patients who are hypersensitive to acyclovir or other similar chemical structures.
Valcivir Side Effects
The side effects include:
- Abdominal pain.
Rare, yet serious side effects may include:
- Visual abnormalities;
- Neurological disorders;
- Renal impairment;
- Allergic reactions.
Report all side effects and adverse reactions to your doctor.
Use with caution if you have an advanced HIV-1 infection, kidney disease, liver disease, or have had an allogeneic bone marrow transplant.
Valcivir-1000 can interact with other potentially nephrotoxic agents.
Pregnancy & Lactation
This antiviral drug can only be administered in pregnant women when the benefits justify any potential risk to the fetus. In addition, lactating women should only use this drug if necessary, and with caution. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor to ensure that this medication is right for you.
Some of the neurological symptoms of Valcivir-1000 overdosage include agitation, confusion, decreased consciousness, hallucinations, and even coma. Some individuals may also be at risk of developing acute renal failure. Swift medical intervention, such as hemodialysis, can adequately remove the drug from the bloodstream. If you have accidentally taken more than the recommended dose, you should seek medical attention.
Alternative Brand Names
An alternate brand name for Valcivir is Valtrex, which is marketed in the US and Canada.
Reviews are only written by verified customers who have purchased this product.